Why Refashion? Points to consider…
- Cotton T-Shirt, it takes a whopping 400 gallons of water to grow the cotton required for an ordinary cotton shirt, even organic.
- Cotton is considered the world’s ‘dirtiest’ crop due to its heavy use of insecticides, the most hazardous pesticide to human and animal health. Cotton covers 2.5% of the world’s cultivated land yet uses 16% of the world’s insecticides, more than any other single major crop.
- It can take almost a 1/3 pound of synthetic fertilizers to grow one pound of raw cotton in the US, and it takes just under one pound of raw cotton to make one t-shirt.
- Nitrogen synthetic fertilizers are considered the most detrimental to the environment, causing leaching and runoff into freshwater habitats and wells.
- Nitrogen synthetic fertilizers are a major contributor to increased N2O emissions, which are 300 times more potent than CO2 as greenhouse gas, which is ominous for global warming as synthetic fertilizer use is forecasted to increase roughly 2.5 times by mid-century.
- WEAR THE SOLUTION!! Refashioning saves land and water needed for growing food, not cotton.